If you or a loved one has been poisoned, it is critical to access medical care as soon as possible. If this is a medical emergency, call 911.
Our caring staff at iCare ER and Urgent Care is here to assist with both critical needs and routine medical care. Our ER staff is experienced in poison care and can provide the immediate support needed to avoid serious complications.
How Poisoning Occurs
When a person comes in contact with toxic substances, it can cause mild or severe symptoms as a reaction to the poison. The most common exposure to poison occurs through touching, inhaling, or ingesting the substance. Examples of poisonous substances in the house include carbon monoxide, chemicals, household cleaners, and alcohol.
Certain substances are only poisonous in excessive amounts. Also, keep in mind that some substances aren’t threatening to adults, but they can cause serious health problems in children.
Symptoms of Poisoning
Understanding the symptoms of poisoning is key to know when you need to seek medical support. Here are some of the most common signs of poisoning:
- Unusual breath odor
- Chemical taste or smell on the breath
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty breathing
- Redness, rash, burns, or sores on the skin or around the mouth
- Abnormal pupil size, either large or small
Poison symptoms can mimic other health conditions. It is important to seek medical attention for an accurate diagnosis, and then proper treatment can be administered.
Poisoning: First Steps for Treatment
Timely medical care is critical if someone has been poisoned. First steps after exposure should include:
- Call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room if the person isn’t breathing.
- If the poison was inhaled, help the person get fresh air right away.
- If the poison came in contact with the skin, remove the clothing that touched the poison. The skin should be rinsed with running water for 15 – 20 minutes.
- If the poison came in contact with the eyes, rinse the eyes for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stay calm – not all chemicals, medications, or household products are poisonous. Talk to a doctor to determine the severity of the situation.
ER Services for Poison Help
Calling the poison control center is one option to determine if medical services are needed. The American Association of Poison Control Centers can be reached at (800) 222-1222, and they will connect you to the local poison center. But the poison helpline can’t provide the treatment needed to counteract the reaction, which is why it is best to visit an emergency room as soon as possible.
Keep in mind that you should not wait for symptoms if you know that someone has been exposed to a poisonous substance.
If possible, bring the product container to the emergency room. The label contains information that can be used to optimize the patient’s treatment. Knowing the cause of the poisoning symptoms is essential to determine the best treatment.
Is it Necessary to Visit the Emergency Room for Poisoning?
Seeking immediate treatment is the best thing you can do to reduce the risk of serious complications from poisoning. These health problems are often curable, but only if treatments are administered quickly. Visiting the emergency room is the fastest way to get access to the treatments that are required.
If you are located in Frisco or Fort Worth, then our team at iCare ER and Urgent Care is here to assist. We offer a complimentary initial exam to determine the level of medical services that are required. Mild poisoning can be treated in our urgent care, while moderate or severe cases of poisoning will be handled in the emergency room. You should come to our ER immediately; walk-ins are welcome. Feel free to call if you have questions about available ER services: (214) 407-8668.